How to create a web server on Google Chrome browser to serve web pages
Do you want to quickly create HTTP web server on Google Chrome browser to serve HTML based web pages or just file server for your local network, then here is the tutorial to learn how to use web server for Chrome …
Here we’ll be using an app available on the Chrome Web Store known as “A web server for Chrome â. It is very easy to install and use. The developer of this Chrome app released it under an open source license (MIT). It is also convenient for sharing files on a local network between computers, or even on the Internet.
Being a Chrome app, it can easily run on ChromeBook (ChromeOS), including all platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS, and FreeBSD running a Chrome or Chromium browser.
Download and run 200 ok HTTP Web Server on Chrome browser
- Open Chrome online store.
- Search for the web server on chromebeat.com or just use this connect.
- Click on the Add to Chrome button.
- Once the app is installed, it will open the Settings Window. You can directly visit all the applications installed on your browser by typing
chrome://appsin the URL box.
- By default, the web server would be running, so just click on the Choose the folder to select the folder from which you want the server files in the browser on a network.
- Here we select a folder containing HTML based web pages.
- You can change the port number to whatever you want to use. If you want to access the Chrome web server through a local network or the Internet, select the corresponding options available. Moreover, we can run it in the background.
The screenshot below is the result of the web server we are using on Chrome. Yes indeed, you cannot host WordPress like a CMS or projects that require PHP to run, however, a simple HTML website or file server can easily be created on it to serve files on a local intranet or Internet.
Therefore, for a web developer or for those who just want to quickly set up an HTTP based file server, this Chrome web server will be a handy tool.